Skip to main content

Call Center Interview Questions: A Guide in Passing and having that Job

While many consider that no planning is required for interviews, we can’t stress enough the significance of formulating and practicing answers. For ages, we have witnessed that nearly all applicants we have hired have capitalized the time to organize thorough responses for interviews.

1. Frame a 1-2 minute “elevator pitch”

a. You may not have to use it, but it is good to be prepared for “Tell me about yourself” or “Walk me through your resume.”

2. When answering questions, try to be concise and direct

a. Exercise keeping your answers to 1 minute
b. Don’t take over the dialogue – Let the interviewer guide the discussion
c. You would be surprised to learn how many of our applicants with the perfect credentials for a job didn't get an offer because their responses were too long

3. Go over your resume and prepare to describe detailed experiences by

a. Starting with the objective of the project or your role
b. Clarifying your contribution (i.e. built the model, led team, managed client relationship, etc.)
c. Defining impact of your work, quantifiable impact if possible (e.g. 150m in cost savings).
If you don’t know the effect, try to estimate it. Companies often stress the fact that strong candidates must be results oriented and know what their work led to.
d. Again, keep your answers to 1-2 minutes.

4. If the interview is going to be a case-based interview, you must practice


5. Prepare intuitive questions


6. Display your interest

a. Be energetic during the interview and show that you are eager about the aspects of the opportunity that you are familiar with
b. Make sure you have done your research on the company and the position (news, history, etc.)
c. Look at other employees’ profiles on LinkedIn (particularly those in the same group that you are interviewing for) to get to know their background

7. Be professional at all times

a. Be reactive and use professional language when scheduling interviews.
b. Say Thank You to the interviewer

Sample Interview Questions with Suggested Ways of Answering (Compiled by us but an excerpt from various articles)


Q. Tell me about yourself.

A. This is the dreaded, classic, open-ended interview question and likely to be among the first. It’s your chance to introduce your qualifications, good work habits, etc. Keep it mostly work and career related.

Q. Why do you want to leave your current job? (Why did you leave your last job?)

A. Be careful with this. Avoid trashing other employers and making statements like, "I need more money." Instead, make generic statements such as, "It's a career move."

Q. What are your strengths?

A. Point out your positive attributes related to the job.

Q. What are your weaknesses?

A. Everybody has weaknesses, but don't spend too much time on this one and keep it work related. Along with a minor weakness or two, try to point out a couple of weaknesses that the interviewer might see as strengths, such as sometimes being a little too meticulous about the quality of your work. (Avoid saying "I work too hard." It's a predictable, common answer.) For every weakness, offer a strength that compensates for it.

Q. Which adjectives would you use to describe yourself?

A. Answer with positive, work-oriented adjectives, such as conscientious, hard-working, honest and courteous, plus a brief description or example of why each fits you well.

Q. What do you know about our company?

A. To answer this one, research the company before you interview.
Q. Why do you want to work for us?
A. Same as above. Research the company before you interview. Avoid the predictable, such as, "Because it's a great company." Say why you think it's a great company.
Q. Why should I hire you?
A. Point out your positive attributes related to the job, and the good job you've done in the past. Include any compliments you've received from management.
Q. What past accomplishments gave you satisfaction?
A. Briefly describe one to three work projects that made you proud or earned you pats on the back, promotions, raises, etc. Focus more on achievement than reward.

Q. What makes you want to work hard?

A. Naturally, material rewards such as perks, salary and benefits come into play. But again, focus more on achievement and the satisfaction you derive from it.

Q. What type of work environment do you like best?

A. Tailor your answer to the job. For example, if in doing your job you're required to lock the lab doors and work alone, then indicate that you enjoy being a team player when needed, but also enjoy working independently. If you're required to attend regular project planning and status meetings, then indicate that you're a strong team player and like being part of a team.

Q. Why do you want this job?

A. To help you answer this and related questions, study the job ad in advance. But a job ad alone may not be enough, so it's okay to ask questions about the job while you're answering. Say what attracts you to the job. Avoid the obvious and meaningless, such as, "I need a job."

Q. How do you handle pressure and stress?

A. This is sort of a double whammy, because you're likely already stressed from the interview and the interviewer can see if you're handling it well or not. Everybody feels stress, but the degree varies. Saying that you whine to your shrink, kick your dog or slam down a fifth of Jack Daniels are not good answers. Exercising, relaxing with a good book, socializing with friends or turning stress into productive energy is more along the lines of the "correct" answers.

Q. Explain how you overcame a major obstacle.

A. The interviewer is likely looking for a particular example of your problem-solving skills and the pride you show for solving it.

Q. Where do you see yourself five (ten or fifteen) years from now?

A. Explain your career-advancement goals that are in line with the job for which you are interviewing. Your interviewer is likely more interested in how he, she or the company will benefit from you achieving your goals than what you'll get from it, but it goes hand in hand to a large degree. It's not a good idea to tell your potential new boss that you'll be going after his or her job, but okay to mention that you'd like to earn a senior or management position.

Q. What qualifies you for this job?

A. Tout your skills, experience, education and other qualifications, especially those that match the job description well.

Q. Can you give me an example of a particularly difficult customer you had to deal with and how you used your skills to successfully overcome the problem they had?”

A: Well, I had a lot of pushy and hard customers before. They are insisting for a service which is not covered in the first place because it was not properly explained to them before. Handling difficult customer is the main reason why we are hired to speak over the phone. Those customers are not really angry to us but with the negative service they had received from the company or from the item so what I usually do is, I listen carefully to what the customer had to say. I apologize and empathize with their situation. I confirm my understanding of their concern. I take responsibility to resolve the issue. I will offer a solution if not, I will meet halfway to what they want by providing alternatives possible. I confirm the customer was happy with this. I thank the customer for raising the issue with me. I take immediate action following the call to resolve the situation. I will remain calm throughout the whole process.

Q. Tell me a little about yourself.

A: Highlight your achievements; don’t mention the details you have in your resume.
Mention why you want to work in a call center (like you want to help your family)

Q. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

A: I have been told that I am an excellent communicator, especially on the telephone, but I feel I have good interpersonal skills generally and find it easy to get along with all sorts of people. My weakness is I am a conscientious worker and I get irritated by colleagues who don’t share this value and take any opportunity to take time off work or do the minimum required when they are there. I am learning, however, that these people generally get found out and I leave it to my supervisor to recognize these problems and address them. (This is your weakness which is not so negative in the first place.)

Q. Give an example of this behavior (Follow up of the above question)

Answer: In my present job, I am often asked to handle difficult customer situations because my supervisor knows that I will handle them politely, efficiently and diplomatically and therefore only a few cases would ever get referred to her. Also, because of my strong interpersonal skills, I have often been asked to buddy-up with new team members, to make them comfortable in their new role at the earliest stage possible” and for my weakness “I had a situation once where I knew that a more experienced colleague was regularly absent from work following nights out drinking, but she would say that she had a migraine. When this happened my workload increased significantly. I undertook this willingly but I must admit I was annoyed that this person was taking advantage of me and the company. However, I decided to let the supervisor do their job and just get on with mine. In quite a short space of time, the issue was addressed and the problem was resolved.

Q. Why should we hire you?

A: I know that I lack experience but I am eager to learn new things and I am interested in new technology. I am a self motivated person, and I do not lack self confidence. I have good communication skills and I am able to perform well with a team.
I know I don't have enough experience with this position but I know the LOB, but I am willing to learn about it. You should hire me because I can assure you that I am a fast learner. I can work with minimum supervision. I have the ability to be versatile and I am interested in developing my career by working with your company. Although I have no experience, I am serious and willing to learn anything. I will work hard to achieve a good position in any field.
I should be hired for my skill, ability and my qualifications. With my skill set and abilities I can serve the company well. In reading about your company, I believe I have the qualities that are compatible with the work environment here.
For example....
I have a positive work attitude. My answer for this question is you should hire me because I have a good attitude and work skills; I'm willing to work with your company and also willing to contribute to the growth of your company.

Q. Can you make a difference?

Answer: I believe that I can make a difference! My education shows that I am well versed/proficient in the technologies required for this role. Throughout my career, I worked on very large accounts and successfully
managed large teams. Furthermore, I love challenges and excelling, my unique combination of skills put me in a great position to drive the team towards a goal.

Q. Why shouldn't we hire you?

Answer: I don’t know. I think I've clearly explained that I’m a good match for the job because I’m (insert five to ten reasons) and I don’t really think I can prove that unless I start working for you. Give an answer. Just throw them an answer.
Attack 2: You processed me for (x hours) if there’s someone better and you don’t have enough slots for the job and you’d like to take your chances on that person then by all means. But the fact that I got this far tells me that there’s something in me that you want in a call center agent/customer service representative/sales person/ or whatever the position is.
Attack 3: I don’t know. I think you’re more qualified to answer that question than me. You see I don’t have experience working in a call center but I made it this far. At the moment do you see any reason why I’m not a good match?
Be creative and have fun. Be unforgettable.

Q. What’s your expected salary?

Answer: I know that the offer is around fifteen to twenty thousand per month and some additional perks. Did I get that correctly or do you offer more? Why did you leave your previous work? Never tell them anything negative about your previous work. Tell them things you’d like to gain by working in a call center like higher pay. I want to explore new and exciting opportunities. I want to be a part of a new environment that gives me the exposure to a different kind of people (young, positive, fun think of something).

Q. Why would you want to shift to a different industry?

Answer: Same reasons as above. It looks exciting. The pay could be better. It might be a perfect match for me because (provide anything that is good about the company, research beforehand the history and the perks of joining the company so that the recruiter will feel that you are prepared and you really want to be a part of their company).

Q. Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Answer: I heard the promotion in a call center if you’re not a job hopper is quite fast. In one or two years I could be a team leader or a trainer or a QA (quality assurance). I don’t know what’s next but I’m sure I’ll aim higher when I get there. I heard that unlike most local companies as long as I get my work done really well and I learn to lead there are opportunities for me here. I don’t know the details about this company. Is my expectation correct? (Smile and wait for your interviewer’s answer. You've sold yourself now it’s their turn to sell your company)

Q. How do you manage stress?

Answer: It’s simple. I smoke and I’m done. This was my previous answer. I don’t really smoke anymore. So I’m thinking of a better answer. I stay positive, think of solutions and understand that thing will turn out well and I have an opportunity to make things better. If you think that’s too much of a Miss Universe answer. Here are more practical answers. I take care of myself well. I go to spas and get massages. I make sure I play or party hard after I work hard (make sure you express that you don’t go drinking every night after work or do drugs). I sleep eight hours a day. Drink plenty of water and eat healthy food. I know these influences how my brain responds to
stressful situations. It’s cliché but a sharp mind requires a healthy body.

Q. What do you think is an advantage of working for this company?

Answer: I like the fact that..It’s close to my house. Pays well according to the advertisement or I heard some good things about this company. Be honest about your answer. If you don’t know, tell them that you don’t know and start asking some questions. Asking questions show that you’re interested.

Q. What is your greatest strength?

Answer: This is a great chance to highlight your best skills. Don't pick just one, focus on your top three or four. Some examples are: leadership skills, team-building skills, and organizational skills. Determine which strengths would fit best with the position for which you are applying. For example, if the job announcement stresses the ability to handle multiple tasks, you could say: "I'm good at organizational skills, prioritization and time management. But my greatest strength is my ability to effectively handle multiple projects and deadlines."

Q. What is your greatest weakness?

Answer: Be careful with this one. Most interview guides will tell you to answer it with a positive trait disguised as a weakness. For example, "I tend to expect others to work as hard as I do," or "I'm a bit of a perfectionist." Interviewers have heard these "canned" answers over and over again. To stand out, be more original and state a true weakness, but then emphasize what you've done to overcome it. For example: "I've had trouble delegating duties to others.

Q. How do you handle stressful situations?

Answer: Give some examples of stressful situations you've dealt with in the past. Tell how you use time management, problem-solving or decision-making skills to reduce stress. For example, tell them that making a "to-do" list helps. Please site stress-reducing techniques such as stretching and taking a break. Don't be afraid to admit that you will ask for assistance if you are feeling overwhelmed.

Q. Why are you the best person for this job?

Answer: As with all other questions, be confident and enthusiastic when you answer this. Don't try to say you are the best qualified person, because you don't know the qualifications of the other applicants. Instead, emphasize several reasons why you should be hired. For example: "I've got extensive experience in [name the appropriate field] and have the specific skills you are looking for. I'm a fast learner who adapts quickly to change and will hit the ground running. I'm dedicated and enthusiastic about helping your company meet its goals, and will provide top-quality results with minimal oversight. I'm an outstanding performer who takes pride in my work. You won't have any regrets when you hire me."

Q. Tell me what you know about our company.

Answer: You're large and respected worldwide. Over the last years you've produced award-winning people that can’t be fathomed in this BPO industry. In reviewing your Web site, I've familiarized myself with many of your corporate goals and objectives.

Q. Why did you decide to seek a position in this company?

Answer: I am convinced that there would be no better place to work than Accenture. You are the top consulting firm in the United States. You provide your employees with the tools they need to stay competitive and sharpen their skills while working in an open, team-based environment. I am also aware that you provide a mentor for all new employees, and I would embrace any opportunity to work with a mentor and eventually become one myself.

Q. To what extent would you be willing to travel for the job?

Answer: I am more than willing to travel. I understand the importance of going above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy customer requests is sometimes required and that Merrill Lynch's customer focus belief means that travel is expected in some circumstances. I am willing to make this commitment to do whatever it takes to develop that long-term relationship with a small business or client. It is only through this relationship that loyalty can be maintained and financial gains and growth can occur for both the client and Merrill Lynch. It is my understanding from other financial consultants that I have interviewed at Merrill Lynch that this occurs maybe one or two times a month.

Q. What is the biggest mistake you have ever made?

Answer: If I had a time machines I would go back to school and taken a degree in IT because this will make me more of a better agent if I will be hired in your company. It will give me the good fundamentals of computer literacy and multi-tasking so that I can talk and do the things in the computer at the same time, seamless.

Q. What are your strengths?

Answer: I am able to cope with setback and learn from my mistakes. I have been told that i am honest and reliable. I am flexible enough to handle changing environments. I’m good at giving love advice to friends so I’m used to listening to a problem, asking for important details and offering solutions.

Q. Why do you want to work for this position?

Answer: I feel that your vacancy ideally fits my skills and qualifications. Therefore I will be able to make a significant contribution to this Line of business as well as fulfill my potential. I want this job because I need it. I want to improve my skills and learn many things as soon as possible. I would like this job because; this would increase my knowledge on a different level and would add stability and growth to my character.

Q. Where do you see yourself in four years’ time?

Answer: In four years’ time I aim to have improved my abilities and to be a leader in my field. This will mean that I can contribute more to (Company Name) and to this LOB.

Q. How would you cope with a difficult colleague?

Answer: This really depends on what my co-worker is doing, the severity of their actions and the specific problems or disruption that they may be causing. Having said that no matter what the situation is, I would always remain in control of any situation and concentrate on my work. I would not take any arguments or heated discussions personally or hold grudges against work colleagues.

Q. What do you like about your present job?

Answer: It provides me with constant new challenges to test my abilities. Communicating and meeting with new people. I am able to use your initiative and I can work as part of a team.

Q. From your research, what do you think you will enjoy in this company? Answer: I will really 

enjoy the job I will perform, the salary and health benefits I will receive and the circumstances at my current account that provides a rewarding career and engagement activities for those who will perform. I know, I will perform.

Q. Why did you leave your last job?

Answer: I am keen to use my skill sets and abilities in a different capacity than I have in the past.

Q. Why should we hire you?

Answer: In reading the job’s duties and responsibilities. I believe I have the qualities that are compatible with the work environment here. I know I don't have enough experience with this position but I know the LOB, but I am willing to learn about it. You should hire me because I can assure you that I am a fast learner. I have the ability to be versatile and I am interested in developing my career by working with (Company Name).

Q. Why shouldn't we hire you?

Answer: I don’t know. I think I've clearly explained that I’m a good match for the job because I’m (insert five to ten reasons) and I don’t really think I can prove that unless I start working for you.




ENJOY AND GOOD LUCK!



NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this post is privileged. If you have viewed it in error, please notify the blogger immediately and then close it. Any use, distribution, disclosure, copying, or the taking of any action for any purpose by anyone other than the intended recipients is strictly prohibited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BPO Companies in the Philippines: A Guide for Job Seekers and Career Shifters

Hello Call Center Philippines Peeps! I know if not most, some, are still not familiar with the BPO industry. We can’t say that this is because some are lazy to go to the web and search those names. Most of our member pools are those freshies and newbies searching for a job (roughly 25%) so I can’t blame them. Let me help you guys and also those tenured individuals seeking for a company change, this can also serve as your refresher. I hope after reading this article, you will have a direction when and where to apply. Indicated below are some of the companies and feel free to comment on this page if I missed your company. This is according to JobStreet. You can also search for the offered salary to these companies by going to the website http://www.payscale.com and http://www.glassdoor.com. 24/7 Customer Philippines Inc . Admerex Solutions Inc . Advanced Contact Solutions, Inc. Affiliated Computer Services, Inc. AIG Business Processing Services, Inc. Ambergris Solu

Acing that Versant Exam

Versant Exam is a standard test to gauge your listening and language skills. Usually they use an Avaya phone and they let you dial a number; a voice prompt then answers and asks you to do the following – reading, answering and creating your own story. This is an easy examination if you know what to do and your confidence is not clouded with nervousness. This sometimes hinder if not most, some applicants not to get their most awaited job contract. For us to pass this so called dreaded assessment coined by some (mostly newbies), it will be helpful for us to know how does this work first. Indicated below are some key aspects we need to know and consider when taking this assessment. Why BPOs use Versant Assessment? Versant is a totally programmed examination of verbal English that allows those call center companies to ensure that applicants and employees have the level of verbal English communication skills necessary for a customer service/ sales associate or a technical sup

Different Types of BPO / Call Center Referral Program

In this modern age, the call center industry has boomed tremendously - cropping up in Metro Manila to Cebu, Baguio and all over the country. This, in turn, creates more jobs, generates more revenue to the surrounding business (food, transportation, goods, clothing stores, bars, shops, etc.) and provided more tax revenue to the government that fueled most of the funding for public entities’ program in constructing roads, schools and hospitals. And because of the booming BPO/RPO/KPO industry - call centers are mushrooming and created a shortage of CSRs and TSRs or shall we say they're having a hard time looking for fit candidates with good communication skills equipped with the basic knowledge of English Language – pronunciation, enunciation, diction and tone. This made them formulate recruitment ties, employee referral programs and other incentives when you get someone interested to apply to a company. This benefits not only the company, but also other people like the emplo